News » NewsLinks
World Media Week-in-Review of Marshall Islands Climate Change Declaration:
YouTube: BBC World News: Interview with Minister de Brum
26 Sept – Minister de Brum joins BBC World News.
Source: British Broadcasting Corporation
Marshall Islands President Pleads in The New York Times: Don't Let Us Drown
26 Sept – The latest president to pen an op-ed in a major American newspaper is not calling for diplomacy in handling military or nuclear threats, as Presidents Vladimir Putin of Russia and Hassan Rouhani of Iran have done in the last month. This president is asking the world to work together to keep his country from drowning.
Source: National Journal
By the invitation of the Federation of Asia-Pacific Women Association (FAWA), Republic of the Marshall Islands First Lady Lieom Anono Loeak led a delegation to Guam to attend FAWA's 20th Convention held 25-28 October 2012. FAWA is an international organization that has worked to empower women throughout the Asia-Pacific region, and has been important in establishing partnerships and creating opportunities to enhance women's access to professional development in education, health, business, the private and public sector. This is the second time for RMI to participate in a FAWA Convention, making it eligible to gain FAWA membership status.
- Coast Guard asked for help to find American, Marshall Islanders - World Teach American James Debrueys and three Marshallese, including a pregnant woman
- Four missing at sea near Majuro in the Marshalls - small boat loaded with goods and strong winds could have played part in disappearance
- U.S., UN Support Pacific Utility Upgrades - Assessment to Help Marshalls Energy Company which lost $3.4 million last year
conduct field research on Enewetak Atoll, July 9-August 15
Della W. Nakamoto, originally from the Marshall Islands, is Vice President and Account Executive Insurance Services for the Bank of Hawaii. Her article, "Are You Insured Against Employee Lawsuits?" is featured in this month's Hawaii Business Magazine. Read more about this and other Marshallese updates:
- Bank on It - Article by Della Nakamoto
- Five Marshall Islands athletes going to Bejing - Cress, Nemra, Jason, Heine and Kirchner
- Women's Giving Circle Awards $60,000 to Campus Projects - $7,500 for Marshallese “The Reading Room”
- Arkansas joins two other states to discuss Marshallese matters - how to secure government-funded health care